To supervise, assign and review the work of staff responsible for maintaining and operating the City's landfill; to oversee and participate in all work activities; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility. This position has the authority to recommend action (carries particular weight) in the interest of the employer, to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, discipline employees, has the responsibly to direct employees and to adjust their grievances/complaints. This is accomplished by the use of independent judgment. This work relates to the employers management of operations. The employee is expected to adhere to all City Of Ponca City Policies, City Guidelines and SOP’s and act as a role model in their application.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Solid Waste Superintendent and upper management.
Exercises direct supervision over clerical and management staff.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS--Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff responsible for maintaining and operating the landfill.
2. Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives; implement approved policies and procedures.
3. Establish schedules and methods for maintaining the landfill; identify resource needs; review needs with appropriate management staff; allocate resources accordingly.
4. Participate in the selection of maintenance staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
5. Participate in the preparation and administration of the landfill budget; submit budget recommendations; monitor expenditures.
6. Prepare bid specifications for light and heavy landfill equipment; attend bid openings; make recommendations.
7. Monitor the work of consultants and contractors; review work progress and ensure compliance with specifications; recommend modifications as appropriate.
8. Serve as liaison for the assigned section with other City departments, divisions and outside agencies; negotiate and resolve concerns and issues.
9. Maintain accurate records of landfill activities; develop reports on operations and activities.
10. Inspect landfill for hazardous materials; dispose of hazardous materials as required and appropriate; coordinate with County and State Health Department; Ensure compliance with Federal E.P.A. on landfill operations.
11. Authorize the use of the landfill area for special dumping purposes.
12. Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
13. Provide responsible staff assistance to the division manager; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
14. Oversee and direct preventive maintenance activities for landfill heavy
15. Ensure the adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
16. Must have acceptable attendance and the ability to work well with people.
17. any specific requirements that are stated in the :offer of employment letter".
1. Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations, and legislation related to the landfill.
2. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Operations, services and activities of a landfill.
Construction and engineering principles related to landfill operations.
Material and equipment used in a landfill.
Basic mathematical principles.
Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
Pertinent Federal, State, or Local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Supervise, organize, and review the work of lower level staff.
Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
Lead and oversee landfill operations.
Inspect and identify hazardous material in the landfill.
Use and operate landfill light and heavy equipment.
Interpret and explain City policies and procedures.
Prepare clear and concise reports.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
1. Walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
2. Operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
1. Making observations
2. Communicating with others
3. Reading and writing
4. Operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Four years of increasingly responsible experience involving the operation and maintenance of a landfill including some lead supervisory responsibility.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Travel from site to site; office/field environment; exposure to noise, dust, smoke, fumes, gases, infectious materials, and inclement weather conditions; work around heavy sanitation equipment.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; light lifting; and operating motorized equipment and vehicles.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, driver's license.
Possessions of, or ability to obtain, Class "A" Commercial driver's license.